Renowned English firm specializing in the construction of optical instruments. Founded in 1752 in the Strand (London) by John Dollond (1706-1761) and his son Peter (1730-1820). In 1758, the Dollonds began selling telescope lenses that corrected chromatic aberration. Soon the Dollonds achieved fame as the best telescope-makers in Europe. In 1766, a few years after his father's death, Peter Dollond moved the shop to 59 St Paul's Churchyard, forming a partnership with his brother John. At John's death in 1804 and until 1820, Peter took into partnership his nephew George Huggins (1774-1852), who in 1805 changed his last name to Dollond.