Cuff-type compound microscope, mounted on a pillar attached to a side of the chest. The body-tube is inserted in a collar fastened to the top of the pillar. Fine focus is by means of a knob screw; coarse focus is by sliding the stage along the pillar. The case contains many accessories including six objectives, a lieberkuhn, tweezers, and some specimens. The chest-type microscope was invented by Edward Nairne c. 1765; the maker of this example is Peter Dollond. Also present is a simple compass microscope, probably Dutch (lenses missing). Provenance of entire set: Lorraine collections.