This optical compendium, from the Lorraine collections, is unsigned, but was certainly made by George Adams Junior. It contains many elements and accessories, a lucernal microscope, and a compound microscope. Grand Duke Ferdinand III personally donated it to the Museo di Fisica e Storia Naturale of Florence in 1791.
The lucernal microscope is mounted on a pillar supported by a tripod. A ball-and-socket joint on the pillar supports a horizontal rod to which is fixed the pyramidal projection box. The box carries the objectives at one end and is fitted at the other end with a ground glass screen (protected by a wooden shutter) on which the images are projected. The rod also carries the frame for observing opaque objects, a mirror, and a converging lens. There are about ten objectives and many accessories for preparing specimens.
The compound microscope is mounted on a square-sectioned pillar fitted with a tripod. The illumination mirror is hinged near the base and above it travels the stage. The body-tube is attached to the top of pillar and its eyepiece is fitted with two converging lenses and a field lens. The instrument, which fits into the same box as the lucernal microscope, also has an objective.