Glass globe with brass collar. Inside there is a bladder connected to the collar. Used to demonstrate the force of pressure. The globe would be connected to an air pump and evacuated, producing a partial vacuum. The bladder, which contained air, would expand. The first such experiment was developed in 1657 by the Accademia del Cimento, using a modified Torricellian barometric apparatus. Provenance: Lorraine collections.